I’m a writer and content guy living in Calgary. I like to read Superman comics, watch Blue Jays games and listen to the Pixies. I have two sons and one wife. I spend my days as the content and planning director at AppColony and my nights writing pithy bullshit at Pop Loser and Fifty Mission Cap, as well as slightly more substantive stuff for magazines and websites of varying respectability.
Select Recent(ish) Writing
- But is it art? This Magazine, 2013
- We were promised jetpacks This Magazine, 2013
- TED and the declining value of ideas This Magazine, 2013
- The idea and the thing This Magazine, 2012
- Ronda Rousey and the face-punch of progress Fifty Mission Cap, 2013
- We already have a word for this Pop Loser, 2012
- How to give gifts and alienate people Avenue, 2012
- Hockey, Raffi Torres and the behaviour of men Fifty Mission Cap, 2012
- Fighting, helmets and insanity in sports Fifty Mission Cap 2012
Pop Loser is an almost-daily blog of text, links, media and commentary about things I find interesting. This means that the blog’s flavour changes and evolves with my own tastes. I’ve started referring to it as “A blog of innumerable confusions,” which is stolen from the Marshall McLuhan quote “Innumerable confusions and a profound feeling of despair invariably emerge in periods of great technological and cultural transitions,” because quoting McLuhan is cool. Fifty Mission Cap is like Pop Loser for sports.
This site originally launched in 2006 and was briefly powered by TypePad before moving to WordPress. From March 2010 to December 2011 it was on Tumblr. Currently, it’s back on WordPress using a slightly modified version of the Memoir theme.